Vanilla Flame runs programmes in schools, both for children whose home language is not English and those who speak English at home but need extra help to improve their marks. The classes are kept small (a maximum of eight) so every student gets individual attention.
How the programme works
Our programme is based on the ESL (English as a Second Language) method of teaching, which has a different focus from English language teaching in the South African syllabus. ESL teaching methods are fun, practical and go back to basics. Our English Foundations programme focuses on:
- Vocabulary and word building
- Common mistakes made by South African second-language speakers
- How and why we use different time tenses (e.g. I did it vs. I’ve done it)
- Comprehension of different written texts
- Improving grammar and spelling
- How to properly structure a piece of writing
- Why writing well in English is important
Students are taught in small groups (maximum of eight students per class). They are assessed at the beginning of the programme, to show where their main problems lie. Students then follow a tailor-made programme that will address their particular needs. At the end of the programme, students receive a final progress report.
If you’re interested in introducing our English Foundations programme at your school, please give us a ring on +27 21 689-7279 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.