You’re writing for someone who’s hunting for information
Internet users are engaged, active and on the hunt for good information – quickly. They are looking for a solution to a problem. They want to get something done – and they want it done fast. They arrive at your site with a goal in mind, and they’ll move on if they don’t find what they’re looking for.
You’ve got to get internet users to your site first
Internet users – your potential customers – need to find your business among all the competitors out there. Making sure that your company’s website is rated highly by search engines like Google is a science on its own! Some examples of how you can improve your Google rating are:
- Using keyword phrases in your copy that match the words users use in searches
- Ensuring that your copy is seen by Google as being fresh, relevant and authoritative
- Using the power of social media to gain exposure for your content
Internet users will scan your site, so your copy has to be easy to read
- Get to the point quickly
- Use short sentences, and easy-to-understand language
- Break up text into small chunks of information by using bullets and short paragraphs
- Use the active rather than the passive voice
- Use bold for important words and phrases
- Use headings and sub-headings to show what the article or section is about
Good copy establishes trust in your brand
(and Google becomes more confident about you, which improves your ranking)
Good content on your website establishes trust in your brand. Good content comes from having information that is:
- Reliable (check your facts!)
- Impartial (use testimonials, statistics and independent studies as evidence)
- Interesting and useful (by knowing who your target market is)
Your copy should also be written well, with no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Nothing will turn your potential customers away faster than copy that is poorly written and full of mistakes!
Vanilla Flame can help you with your website
Give us a ring if you’d like help with creating a new website, or updating your existing site. We can put together a content strategy, website structure and copy for you. We work closely with website designers, who specialise in design and the hard technical stuff that we don’t understand!